- Associated Press - Saturday, February 27, 2016

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) - An airplane was in the air for only 26 seconds and only 120 feet off the ground before crashing into a building and killing four people at a Wichita airport in 2014, according to a new report from the National Transportation Safety Board.

The report precedes a ruling on the cause of the crash, The Wichita Eagle reported (https://bit.ly/1ODse9l ). An NTSB official said Friday it was unclear when the probable cause determination will be announced.

The Beechcraft King Air B200 crashed into a FlightSafety building at the Eisenhower National Airport on Oct. 30, 2014. The crash killed the pilot, 53-year-old Mark Goldstein, and three people inside the building: FlightSafety employees Jay Ferguson, 78, and Nataliya Menestrina, 48; and Russian pilot Sergey Galitskiy, 54, who was training at FlightSafety.

The report noted that the plane’s last major scheduled maintenance was completed nine days before the accident. It also said investigators found “no maintenance record discrepancies” that would have affected the plane’s operation or performance, the report said.

Goldstein received permission to takeoff at 9:47 a.m., but declared he had “lost his left engine” at 9:48 a.m.

“A timeline generated from the CVR recording determined that the time duration from liftoff to building impact was about 26 seconds,” the report said.

Based on airport surveillance cameras that captured the last nine seconds of flight, “the airplane’s altitude reached a maximum of about 120” feet before it crashed into the building.

Examinations found the left engine was likely operating but producing low to moderate power while the right engine was operating normally when the airplane hit the building, the report said.

The report said Goldstein, a licensed airline transport pilot and retired air traffic controller, had 3,139 flight hours, 2,843 hours of which were in multi-engine airplanes. He was issued a Federal Aviation Administration second-class medical certificate in August 2014, which required him to wear corrective lenses when flying.

Goldstein was taking two prescription medications for anxiety and depression at the time of the crash. He did not report his use of the medications to the FAA, but his doctor found him to be stable on the medications about a month before the crash, the report said.


Information from: The Wichita (Kan.) Eagle, https://www.kansas.com

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide