- Associated Press - Friday, January 29, 2016

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) - The Latest in recent developments stemming from legal motions filed ahead of the trial for two Albuquerque police officers charged with second-degree murder in the on-duty shooting death of a homeless man (all times local):

1:15 p.m.

A judge has denied a motion to move the trial for two former Albuquerque officers charged with second-degree murder in the on-duty shooting death of a homeless man in 2014.

Attorneys for now-former Officer Dominique Perez and retired detective Keith Sandy had filed a change-of-venue motion in the case, saying a barrage of local media reports in the weeks and months following the shooting would make it nearly impossible to seat an impartial jury. Defense attorneys had sought to move the trial set for August to Las Cruces, about 200 miles south of Albuquerque.

During a change-of-venue hearing earlier this month, attorneys for the two officers also said the case had become politically charged.

Judge Alisa Hadfield handed her decision Friday denying the motion.

8:00 a.m.

The special prosecutor in the case of two former Albuquerque police officers charged in the on-duty shooting death of a homeless man has asked the judge to keep the victim’s and the officers’ backgrounds out of the trial.

The Albuquerque Journal reports (https://bit.ly/1JLMZV2) that prosecutor Randi McGinn said in a motion that sealing the motions related to James Boyd’s criminal history and the background of the officers will allow an impartial jury to be seated.

Now-retired detective Keith Sandy and ex-police officer Dominique Perez are accused of shooting and killing Boyd during a standoff in 2014.

McGinn says the motions should be sealed in order to keep the information out of the media, which has closely followed the case. She has opposed a defense request to move the trial out of Albuquerque.

___

Information from: Albuquerque Journal, https://www.abqjournal.com

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide