- The Washington Times - Tuesday, July 26, 2016

One newborn was killed and another left in critical condition after an Australian hospital accidentally administered “laughing gas” instead of oxygen to each child.

Officials at Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital in Sydney informed families over the weekend of mistakes involving tanks of nitrous oxide over the past two months. An investigation is ongoing.

“I am profoundly sorry for the families of a newborn who died and another newborn who was severely affected,” New South Wales health minister Jillian Skinner said in a statement, Sky News reported Tuesday. “I deeply regret these families have suffered through such a devastating error. NSW Health will do all it can to support them. The oxygen outlet in one of the hospital’s theaters was incorrectly installed and certified by BOC Ltd in July 2015.”

BOC Ltd’s website suggests that tanks filled with nitrous oxide are supposed to be in light blue containers while those filled with oxygen should be in black tanks, the network reported.

The operating theater responsible for the error is still closed.



Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide