- Associated Press - Friday, July 29, 2016

LAS VEGAS (AP) - A 20-year-old California woman who collapsed in a parking lot after the Electric Daisy Carnival in Las Vegas last month died from drug intoxication and high heat, the Clark County coroner said Friday.

Kenani Kaimuloa died of the combined effects of cocaine and the club drug ecstasy, along with environmental heat stress, according to medical examiners’ findings. Her death was ruled an accident.

Kaimuloa’s father, Dane Kaimuloa of Temecula, California, acknowledged Friday that there were drugs in his daughter’s system when she died.

But he blamed heat stroke and dehydration during exceptionally hot weather for her death after three dusk-to-dawn nights at the June 17-20 music and entertainment festival, and said he believes the risks to festival-goers from heat and drugs is preventable.

“Our family is truly heartbroken,” he said. “Nothing will ever bring her back. But I will move mountains to ensure another parent doesn’t have to deal with this pain, and another young adult doesn’t lose their life.”



Los Angeles-based producer Insomniac has called Kaimuloa’s death a tragedy.

High temperatures are common at the festival, which the promoter says draws about 135,000 ticket-holders per night to the Las Vegas Motor Speedway. The event features carnival rides, light shows, pyrotechnics and nonstop dancing to pulsing electronic music on several stages.

Daytime temperatures typically top 100 degrees in Las Vegas in late June, with overnight temperatures in the 80s.

A 24-year-old from San Francisco died at the festival in 2015 of an accidental overdose of the club drug ecstasy, and authorities said that three people who died in 2014 were in Las Vegas for the event.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide