- The Washington Times - Wednesday, June 1, 2016

A murder-suicide at the University of California, Los Angeles sent the school into lockdown Wednesday morning and brought hordes of police officers to the campus.

Hundreds of responding law enforcement officers initially searched for a possible active shooter on campus as well as additional victims, but within about two hours the Los Angeles Police Department concluded the incident was “entirely contained.”

“The campus is now safe,” said LAPD Chief Charlie Beck. “There are no suspects outstanding and no continuing threat to the UCLA campus.”

A gun was recovered from the scene as well as what could be a suicide note left by the gunman, the chief said.

Police said the shooting victim and suspect are both men. There was no additional information available Wednesday afternoon about the two individuals, including whether either were students or faculty members.

LAPD responded to the campus for a report of shots fired inside an engineering building just before 10 a.m. PST. The shooting happened inside a small office in the building.

PHOTOS: 21 best guns for home protection

Chief Beck said the caller initially reported hearing three gunshots.

The report drew hundreds of law enforcement officers to the campus Wednesday, including campus police, LAPD, and federal agents from the FBI and ATF, according to UCLA Police Chief James Herren.

University officials quickly issued alerts through the school’s notification system to advise students and staff of the shooting and to request that they stay out of the immediate area, Chief Herren said.

The University of California system campus has about 43,000 students.

Many students posted to social media to let friends and family know they were safe. Some described frantic evacuation scenes and a large police response. Others wrote that their doors weren’t locking and posted photos of makeshift barricades or doors they managed to secure with belts.

The focus of police activity was a cluster of engineering buildings near the center of a campus that occupies 419 acres in Los Angeles. At a mathematical sciences building near Boelter Hall, SWAT officers with guns drawn cleared occupants who emerged one by one.

TV crews at the scene showed individuals being led out of campus buildings and told to kneel on the ground so they could be frisked by officers. After methodically clearing rooms and buildings on campus, the hunt for any additional suspects was eventually called off.

The shooting occurred the week before students were set to take final exams at UCLA, a period that is already “a very stressful time for them,” Chief Beck said.

Classes and activities were canceled on campus for the rest of the day Wednesday, though the campus is expected to reopen Thursday.

This article is based in part on wire service reports.

• Andrea Noble can be reached at anoble@washingtontimes.com.

Copyright © 2022 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide