- The Washington Times - Tuesday, March 29, 2016

The State Department and Pentagon have ordered the families of U.S. diplomats and military personnel to leave posts in southern Turkey due to security fears.

The two agencies said dependents of Americans stations at the U.S. Consulate in Adana and the Incirlik air base and two other locations must leave.

The “ordered departure,” will affect about 670 Defense Department dependents. Relocation costs will be covered by the government, The Associated Press reported.

“We understand this is disruptive to our military families, but we must keep them safe and ensure the combat effectiveness of our forces to support our strong ally Turkey in the fight against terrorism,” the European Command statement said, AP reported.

The moves was accompanied by an updated travel warning advising U.S. citizens of increased threats of terror attacks in Turkey.

It also comes as Turkey’s president is set to arrive in Washington to attend President Obama’s nuclear security summit.

Last week the State Department also issued a travel warning to Americans traveling to Europe in the wake of terrorist attacks in Brussels that killed 31 people, including four Americans.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide