- Associated Press - Friday, May 13, 2016

AVON, Conn. (AP) - Fire officials say a blaze that damaged a historic home in Avon earlier this week was sparked by the spontaneous combustion of oily rags that had been thrown in the garbage.

Fire Marshal James DiPace tells The Hartford Courant (https://cour.at/1Wu44YC ) members of the Avon Historical Society working on renovations to the Derrin House on Tuesday threw the used rags in the garbage instead of laying them out to dry.

DiPace says a chemical reaction from the oils caused the rags to ignite. The flames spread to other parts of the home, which dates to 1810. The total extent of the damage is undetermined.

The house and surrounding land are now owned by the state. The historical society was in the process of refurbishing the home for use as a museum.


Information from: Hartford Courant, https://www.courant.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide