- - Friday, May 13, 2016

More than a dozen students at the Francis Scott Key Middle Schools in Montgomery County grew ill and were treated and/or hospitalized around noontime on Friday. The suspected culprit: a toxic combination of alcohol, cold medicine and candy.

Preliminary reports indicate the children drank a home-concocted brew.

“This was not a school activity,” Pete Piringer, spokesman for Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service, said. “It was, for lack of a better phrase, recreational.”

Authorities also said half-dozen students were taken to a local hospital, and no life-threatening injuries were reported.

In what appears to be an unrelated incident, nearly two dozen students visiting the nation’s capital from Westchester County, New York, fell ill.

Authorities suspect a stomach illness.

Students from Isaac Young Middle School apparently began vomiting Thursday evening, the second day of their three-day visit. The students were taken to a local hospital CBS reported from Westchester, and some of them were treated for dehydration.

The students are due back in Westchester Friday evening.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide