- Associated Press - Monday, May 16, 2016

MIAMI (AP) - A South Florida man has pleaded not guilty to a charge that he tried to detonate a bomb at a synagogue and Jewish school during Passover observances.

A lawyer for 40-year-old James Medina entered the plea Monday at a brief federal court hearing in Miami. Medina faces life in prison if convicted of attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction.

The FBI says Medina plotted with an undercover informant to acquire a bomb to attack the Aventura Turnberry Jewish Center last month. Medina was arrested after the informant provided him with a real-looking dummy bomb that could not explode.

FBI recordings show Medina allegedly supported the Islamic State terrorist group and claimed an obligation to attack Jews in the U.S.

Medina’s lawyer says he suffers from long-term mental illness.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide