- Associated Press - Tuesday, May 17, 2016

DURHAM, N.C. (AP) - Durham District Attorney Roger Echols says there is no probable cause to file charges against Durham police officers involved in a shooting last year that left a 21-year-old man dead.

Echols told local media outlets on Tuesday that no charges will be filed in the death of La’vante Trevon Biggs last September.

Authorities say officers received a report that Biggs was suicidal and tried to talk to him for a half hour. Echols says that Briggs aimed a gun at officers before he was shot. The gun he held turned out to be an air gun that resembled a real gun.

Echols says that under state law, officers are justified in using deadly force if they think a person presents a threat of death or serious injury to others.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide