OMAHA, Nebraska (AP) - Safety regulators have proposed fining a Minnesota excavation company that was drilling in Omaha’s Old Market area when a natural gas-fueled fire destroyed a building.
Regulators say a crew struck a gas line underneath the sidewalk in front of M’s Pub on Jan. 9. Gas leaked into the basement of the building and exploded. An M’s Pub employee was taken to a hospital with cuts and a firefighter was treated after slipping on ice.
The Omaha World-Herald reports (https://bit.ly/27vus7V) that the Occupational Safety and Health Administration said Monday that North Central Service, of Bemidji, Minnesota, didn’t use “safe and acceptable” means to find underground utilities in the area. OSHA is proposing a $4,900 fine.
A company spokesman didn’t immediately return a call Tuesday from The Associated Press.
Information from: Omaha World-Herald, https://www.omaha.com
Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.