- Associated Press - Wednesday, May 18, 2016

NEW YORK (AP) - In a story May 18 about a city investigation of a homeless shelter, The Associated Press, relying on information in The New York Times, reported erroneously that the city had suspended funding to the organization. The city has continued to make payments during the investigation.

A corrected version of the story is below:

NYC investigates fraud allegations at homeless shelter

New York City is investigating whether a homeless shelter has been inflating the number of teenagers and young adults it serves

NEW YORK (AP) - New York City is investigating whether a homeless shelter has been inflating the number of teenagers and young adults it serves.

The New York Times (https://nyti.ms/1qthohF) reports that the Department of Youth and Community Development began an investigation May 8 into whether Covenant House is complying with its contract terms.

Covenant House is the largest shelter for teenagers and young adults in New York City.

Among the allegations was that youths were counted more than once if they returned for shelter services.

A spokeswoman for Covenant House says it has no evidence so far that the nonprofit hasn’t been complying with terms of its contracts with the city.

In light of the allegations, the city’s Economic Development Corporation says it’ll wait to select a developer for a project that would include a new Covenant House headquarters.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide