- Associated Press - Thursday, May 19, 2016

STOW, Mass. (AP) - Two recent fatal fires in Massachusetts are being blamed on smoking.

The state Fire Marshal on Thursday said a blaze at a duplex in Northbridge on Saturday that claimed the lives of two young women, and a May 7 fire in Fall River that took the life of a 61-year-old man, were both the result of “the improper disposal of smoking materials.”

Investigators say the Northbridge fire started on the couch in a first-floor living room. Fire Marshal Peter Ostroskey says there is no evidence the home had working smoke or carbon monoxide alarms. The victims’ names have not been released by authorities but relatives say they are both 22 years old.

The Fall River fire started on a reclining chair located in the kitchen of Emile Saucier’s third-floor apartment.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide