- Associated Press - Thursday, May 19, 2016

BENNINGTON, Vt. (AP) - A teacher and two students were hospitalized after they were exposed to nitrous dioxide when a science experiment went awry at a school in Bennington.

Police were notified of the chemical exposure at Grace Christian School on Kocher Drive around 1:30 p.m. Wednesday. The pre-K through 12 school was evacuated and a hazardous materials team was called in.

Administrator Shawn Smith says a chemical reaction during a science experiment produced nitrogen dioxide, a hazardous gas and air pollutant found in car exhaust.

The instructor recognized the problem and was able to neutralize it, but he inhaled the gas during the process. He was taken to Southwestern Vermont Medical Center for evaluation along with two students who were also exposed.

Crews ventilated the building and cleared the scene by 3 p.m.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide