Ohio Gov. John Kasich insisted Tuesday night he’s still in the GOP’s presidential race, even after the party’s leadership declared Donald Trump the presumptive nominee.
Sen. Ted Cruz dropped out after losing Indiana’s primary to Mr. Trump, but Mr. Kasich — who appeared on track to earn less than 8 percent of the vote in the contest — said he’s staying in anyway.
“As long as it remains possible, Governor Kasich will fight for the higher path,” Kasich strategist John Weaver said in a statement. “Ted Cruz ran a strong campaign, stood for conservative principles and exposed a lot about Donald Trump. Governor Kasich will continue to campaign and offer the voters a clear choice for our country.”
Mr. Kasich has won only one contest so far — his home state of Ohio — and is fourth in the chase for delegates, trailing even Sen. Marco Rubio, who dropped out nearly two months ago.
But he said until Mr. Trump can claim to have the 1,237 delegates needed to win the nomination, the race isn’t over.
GOP leaders feel otherwise.
Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus dubbed Mr. Trump the presumptive nominee Tuesday night, and urged Republicans to rally behind him in order to defeat likely Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton.