- Associated Press - Tuesday, November 1, 2016

PENNSVILLE, N.J. (AP) - State officials have fined a utility company $300,000 for safety violations that led to a home explosion and fire last year.

The fine against South Jersey Gas was announced Tuesday by the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities. It culminates the board’s investigation into the blast that occurred at a Pennsville home in September of 2015.

Officials say the explosion and fire were caused by a buildup of gas in the basement after workers with a construction company punctured a natural gas line nearby. No injuries were reported in the incident.

South Jersey Gas did not admit to any wrongdoing.

But the utility agreed to make several changes over the next six months to prevent a similar incident from occurring.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide