- The Washington Times - Thursday, November 3, 2016

The rifle believed to have been used in the fatal shooting of two Iowa police officers was recovered, and investigators said the suspected gunman appeared to have tried to hide the firearm in the rural wooded area where he was taken into custody.

Authorities have yet to interview 46-year-old Scott Michael Greene as he remains hospitalized as the result of complications with a preexisting medical condition, but officials offered updates on several developments in the case Thursday morning. Des Moines police detectives expect to be able to take Mr. Greene into custody for questioning later Thursday, officials said.

Without being able to interview Mr. Greene, authorities were still at a loss to explain a potential motive for Wednesday’s separate ambush-style attacks that killed a sergeant with the Des Moines Police Department and a rookie officer with the Urbandale Police Department.

Des Moines Police Chief Dana Wingert, visibly angry as he spoke about the killings, called the incident a “cowardly act” and said the suspect had attempted to run and hide after the attack.

“What happened yesterday was calculated murder of two law enforcement officers,” Chief Wingert said. “The message today is that nobody deserved this.”
The slain officers were identified as Sgt. Anthony Beminio, an 11-year veteran of the Des Moines Police Department, and Officer Justin Martin, who joined the Urbandale Police Department a year ago.

Des Moines Sgt. Paul Parizek said authorities located Mr. Greene’s truck and a rifle in the rural area where the suspected gunman flagged down a state Department of Natural Resources employee to surrender hours after the attack. The truck was “bogged down” and stuck off of the roadway, and a rifle was discovered by a police dog in a nearby area covered with heavy brush, Sgt. Parizek said.

“There is absolutely no way a person would have found this gun,” he said.
Officials have searched the truck as well as Mr. Greene’s home, but Sgt. Parizek declined to comment on what items police have recovered.

While unclear whether either of the shootings, which took place less than two miles and 30 minutes apart, were captured on video, Sgt. Parizek said investigators have recovered surveillance video from businesses in the area to review.

Court records indicate that Mr. Greene has a criminal history and has had encounters with law enforcement. Less than three weeks ago, Urbandale police said he was removed from an Urbandale High School football game after he unfurled a Confederate flag in front of a group of black spectators and caused a disturbance.

Sgt. Parizek declined to speculate on any connection between that incident and the shooting.

“A lot of this will depend on what he tells us,” he said.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More

Click to Hide