- Associated Press - Wednesday, October 12, 2016

MINDEN, La. (AP) - The Louisiana National Guard says federal and state representatives are meeting privately with community representatives about the explosion last month at Camp Minden, and will hold an open house Thursday.

A bunker full of “clean-burning igniter” exploded there Sept. 29, destroying the bunker but not doing any other damage.

Lt. Rebekah Malone says in a news release that the open house Thursday at Camp Minden will update people about plans to deal with the remaining 100 tons of the substance.

She says the Environmental Protection Agency, Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality, Louisiana Military Department and Louisiana State Police will participate in the 6:30 p.m. event.

Malone says representatives from the agencies scheduled private meetings Wednesday afternoon and evening with community representatives.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide