- Associated Press - Thursday, October 13, 2016

HAMPTON, N.H. (AP) - Three firefighters are recovering from minor injuries from a restaurant fire at New Hampshire’s Hampton Beach that also damaged several nearby businesses in a 100-year-old complex that hosts concerts and other shows.

Fire officials say the Purple Urchin restaurant on the second floor of the Hampton Beach Casino complex was unoccupied at the time of the fire early Wednesday, as most of the businesses had closed for the season.

The fire’s origin was found to be at the base of a beverage cooler, and the cause was found to be an electrical short circuit at the base of the power cord to the machine.

The Portsmouth Herald reports (https://bit.ly/2evry03) the restaurant closed two weeks ago. The complex houses arcades, eateries and shops in addition to the Casino Ballroom concert venue. The ballroom didn’t suffer damage, but cancelled a comedian’s show Thursday.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide