- Associated Press - Wednesday, October 19, 2016

PHNOM PENH, Cambodia (AP) - Officials say more than 80 schoolchildren in Cambodia have fallen ill after eating contaminated food distributed by a local volunteer group.

The primary school students in the southern province of Takeo became sick Tuesday after eating fried rice, sausage and milk.

Chea Vann, the governor of Tram Kak district, where the incident took place, told police that all of the victims had the same symptoms - diarrhea and vomiting.

He said Wednesday that the children have been sent to hospitals, and that all were in stable condition.

Such mass outbreaks of food poisoning are not uncommon in Cambodia, where checks on food are rare and safety regulations lax.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide