- Associated Press - Thursday, October 20, 2016

PLAINFIELD, Conn. (AP) - Plainfield’s fire marshal says a fire in which a 6-year-old girl died and her mother was badly injured was an accident that may have been started by a malfunctioning kitchen appliance.

Fire Marshal Paul Yellen tells The Hartford Courant (https://cour.at/2eqIYs0 ) Thursday that the fire’s origins are being traced by an insurance provider and appliance manufacturer.

Isabella Patterson died in the Sept. 21 blaze. Her mother Jeannette Lawyea and Lawyea’s 18-month-old son, Myles, were pulled to safety through a bedroom window. Lawyea was released from the hospital Wednesday. Her mother says she’s still recovering from burns on her arms and back.

The family had moved into a home built by Habitat for Humanity in July.


Information from: Hartford Courant, https://www.courant.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide