- The Washington Times - Thursday, October 27, 2016

The identities of covert intelligence officers were among the highly classified information stolen by a former National Security Agency contractor and found in his suburban Maryland home, according to court documents filed by the Justice Department.

Prosecutors made the disclosure in documents filed Thursday as they look to convince a federal judge to keep the former contractor, Harold T. Martin III, in custody as his case proceeds.

Mr. Martin is accused of stealing more than a half-billion pages of top-secret documents and records from the U.S. government between 1996 and 2016.

Describing how the names of covert intelligence officers were among the pilfered data, prosecutors highlighted the risks of what could happen if that information had gotten into the wrong hands.

“These officers operate under cover outside the United States, and putting the secrecy of their identities at risk by removing information about those identities from appropriate, secure storage not only endangers the lives and safety of those officers and the individuals with whom they work, but also risks exposure of American intelligence operations,” DOJ attorneys wrote.

“Additionally, numerous intelligence sources and methods for highly sensitive intelligence operations would be rendered nearly useless should they fall into the wrong hands,” they wrote in the filing.

At a detention hearing in federal court last week, Mr. Martin’s lawyers pushed back against insinuation that Mr. Martin had a nefarious motive to take the documents.

His attorneys called his behavior that of a “compulsive hoarder” who took documents to his Glen Burnie home as a way to study and become better at his job. They have said that there is no indication that he shared the information with anyone.

Magistrate Judge David Copperthite ordered last week that Mr. Martin remain in custody, but his attorney’s this week asked for a review of that order by a U.S. District Court judge. A hearing is scheduled for Friday before U.S. District Judge Richard Bennett.

Prosecutors say that since they intend to charge Mr. Martin under the Espionage Act, the 51-year-old faces “sentencing ranges that may exceed his life expectancy,” and thus his incentive to flee is “extremely strong” and recommend he remain in custody.

Mr. Martin, who had worked as a contractor for Booz Allen Hamilton, was fired after his August arrest.

On Thursday, Booz Allen officials announced the firm had tapped former FBI Director Robert Mueller to conduct an external review of its security, personnel, and management processes and practices.

“We hold ourselves to the highest ethical standards, take the trust of our clients seriously and are proud to support our country’s important national security missions,” said Craig Veith, vice president of external relations. “We are committed to doing our part to detect potential insider threats, which are complex and constantly evolving. Director Mueller has extensive experience in these areas, as well as an unparalleled reputation for integrity.”

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide