- Associated Press - Tuesday, October 4, 2016

HANOVER, N.H. (AP) - Officials at Dartmouth College say a dormitory set ablaze by a hibachi-style grill left unattended will stay closed through at least the fall.

The Valley News (https://bit.ly/2doUTIe ) reports that officials said Monday they’re still determining the extent and cost of the damage at Morton Hall. President Phil Hanlon says the building is “no longer habitable.”

Investigators say the flames were sparked by a charcoal grill left unattended at the time of the fire on Saturday. Officials said 300 students in a residential “cluster,” including the 70 students in the affected dorm, escaped without injuries. The 70 were relocated.

Records show that replacing the entire building will cost about $4.2 million.

The school’s website says charcoal grills are among items not allowed in student dorm rooms. It’s unclear whether the students responsible will be disciplined.

___

Information from: Lebanon Valley News, https://www.vnews.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide