- Associated Press - Wednesday, October 5, 2016

WILMINGTON, Del. (AP) - The U.S. Department of Justice has awarded $2 million in funds to the Wilmington Police Department and Laurel Police Department to aid in community policing.

The News Journal of Wilmington reports (https://delonline.us/2dJ3WQT) that the police departments received the funds Monday.

Wilmington’s $1,875,000 in funding will support the hiring of 15 new officers to address city homicides, while Laurel’s $125,000 will go toward the hiring of a new school resource officer. The grant funds 75 percent of the officers’ salaries for the first three years, with the respective police department responsible for the remaining 25 percent.

Wilmington Police Sgt. Scott Reed says the new hires will be used to prevent homicides in the city.

Laurel Police Chief Dan Wright says the department previously hasn’t had enough money to fund a full-time resource officer.


Information from: The News Journal of Wilmington, Del., https://www.delawareonline.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide