CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) - The Latest on protests following the shooting of a man by a Charlotte police officer last week (all times local):
Charlotte-Mecklenburg police have arrested a suspect in connection with an assault in a parking deck during violent protests over the shooting death of a black man by a police officer.
A statement from police Tuesday says 22-year-old Antonio Gatewood was identified as a suspect in two commercial burglaries during the protests that turned violent Sept. 21. During that night, a person was assaulted in a parking deck by several people
Video of the incident helped police identify Gatewood as one of the suspects.
New warrants filed against Gatewood, who was already in jail on looting-related charges, include charges of false imprisonment and ethnic intimidation.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg police have removed a suspicious package from its headquarters that led to an evacuation.
A statement on the department’s Twitter page said a dog alerted to the package after an employee spotted it. A robot removed the package, and about 8:30 p.m. about a half-dozen police cars followed by a firetruck formed a motorcade heading down a street on the outskirts of downtown Charlotte.
Police say the package will be rendered safe at a remote location.
Authorities also said there was no phone call or threat made to the department.
After the package was removed, people were allowed to return to a parking lot across the street from police headquarters.
Gov. Pat McCrory is accusing his Democratic rival and Charlotte’s mayor of meeting to talk politics during last week’s protests stemming from the shooting death of a black man by a police officer.
The Charlotte Observer reports (https://bit.ly/2digz9b) that McCrory says gubernatorial candidate Roy Cooper and Charlotte Mayor Jennifer Roberts met for three to four hours with his campaign team. McCrory made the comments to reporters after an appearance in Cary.
Noelle Talley, a spokeswoman for Cooper, said the attorney general was at the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Government Center last Thursday in his official capacity in the aftermath of last week’s shooting of Keith Lamont Scott by a Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officer.
A spokesman for the Cooper campaign said that, aside from his driver, no one from the campaign was present for the meeting with Roberts.
Police in Charlotte have cordoned off several blocks around their headquarters after a suspicious package was discovered inside the building.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officers used vehicles and bicycles to block intersections after the discovery of the package Tuesday afternoon. Fire trucks and a man in an ATF were outside the building.
According to police, the package was discovered just as activists were entering the building to deliver demands to Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Kerr Putney. It’s unclear if the package was found in the same area or if there was any connection.
A South Carolina funeral home says it is handling arrangements regarding the death of a black man who was shot and killed by a North Carolina police officer.
Murray’s Mortuary in North Charleston, South Carolina, said Tuesday that it is handling arrangements for Keith Lamont Scott, who was shot and killed by a Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officer Sept. 20.
There were no details regarding when or where a funeral would be held, but the mortuary said it would announce those details soon. The obituary did mention that Scott and his wife had seven children and two grandchildren.
Charlotte police say they are evacuating headquarters and a bomb squad is investigating a suspicious package.
Images taken near the police headquarters show officers blocking off streets Tuesday, a week after a black man was shot to death by police. The city has been besieged by protests for the past week, with some of them turning violent with fires and looting. More than 80 arrests have been made.
Police have said Keith Scott was armed with a handgun and officers told him repeatedly to drop the weapon before he was shot to death. Scott’s family says he wasn’t armed.
Court documents say the black man killed by Charlotte police had a restraining order filed against him a year ago after he threatened to kill his wife and her son with a gun.
The documents were obtained Tuesday and show that Keith Scott’s wife filed the order on Oct. 5. She said that law enforcement officers who encounter him should be aware that he is armed and “carries a 9mm black” gun.
Police have said Scott was armed with a handgun when they approached him at an apartment complex last week. Officers say they told Scott repeatedly to drop the weapon and he was shot to death when he didn’t follow their orders.
Scott’s family has said that he was not armed. Videos released by police and the family are inconclusive, and state authorities are investigating.
The University of Tennessee’s law school dean says a professor will not face disciplinary action for a Twitter post that called on drivers to run over demonstrators blocking traffic in Charlotte, North Carolina.
In a post on the law school’s website, Dean Melanie D. Wilson said the tweet “was an exercise” of the professor’s First Amendment rights, according to media reports. Wilson added the tweet “offended many members of our community and beyond, and I understand the hurt and frustration they feel.”
The law school began an investigation after law professor Glenn Reynolds posted “Run them down,” in response to news about protesters on the interstate. Reynolds also writes newspaper columns.
Wilson said the investigation included “an examination of the facts, policies in the university’s Faculty Handbook, and the law.”
Charlotte police say nine more people face charges in the protests over the videotaped shooting death of a black man by police officers last week.
The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department said Tuesday that all nine people were charged with obstructing traffic.
Charlotte officials had warned that marching or demonstrating in the streets without a permit is illegal. Police on Sunday stopped blocking downtown traffic to allow marchers in the road and directed demonstrators to stay on sidewalks.
The police action means that there have been more than 80 arrests since the Sept. 20 shooting of Keith Lamont Scott.
Angry Charlotte residents are complaining about what they call unaccountable police officers and civilian leaders who’ve failed to force change as the city marks a week of protests since a police officer fatally shot a black man.
The City Council on Monday night allowed dozens of people to voice their frustrations after the Sept. 21 shooting of Keith Lamont Scott by Charlotte-Mecklenburg police. Many called on Mayor Jennifer Roberts, Police Chief Kerr Putney and other council members to resign.
Scott’s family and advocacy groups complain the department divulged only about three minutes of footage from two cameras. They have urged the police department to release all other video footage it has, as well as audio recordings of communications that could clarify how the situation unfolded. A media coalition also seeks more footage.
(This story corrects Scott’s first name to Keith, not Kevin)
Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.