- The Washington Times - Wednesday, September 7, 2016

It has been an entire year since Tiger Woods last played a round of professional golf, but the former No. 1 player in the world is shooting to make a return in October.

On Woods’ website, the golfer stated that he hopes to return for the Safeway Open, set to start on Oct. 13.

“My rehabilitation is to the point where I’m comfortable making plans, but I still have work to do,” Woods said. “Whether I can play depends on my continued progress and recovery. My hope is to have my game ready to go.”

Additionally, Woods is preparing to participate in the Turkish Airlines Open in November and the Hero World Challenge, hosted by the Tiger Woods Foundation, in December.

Woods, who hasn’t won a tournament since the WGC-Bridgeston Invitational in August of 2014, has been hampered by back and hip injuries that had been bothering him since 2015. He has been eager to get back out on the course, but recognizes the importance of a full recovery.



“It was difficult missing tournaments that are important to me, but this time I was smart about my recovery and didn’t rush it,” he said. “It was great spending time with my children Sam and Charlie, and also working on a lot of projects including golf-course design, the upcoming 20th anniversary of my foundation and my book about the 1997 Masters. But I missed competing. I want to thank all the fans for their kindness and concern. I’ve been a pro about 20 years, and their support has never waned.”

Woods’ 79 career PGA wins is second in PGA history, only three behind hall of famer Sam Snead. Additionally, Woods’ 14 major wins ranks second all-time, behind only Jack Nicklaus’ 18.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide