- Associated Press - Wednesday, April 12, 2017

LAS VEGAS (AP) - Fire officials believe a passenger’s e-cigarette battery caused an explosion in his pocket at a Las Vegas airport.

Officials say Scott Hildreth of Florida was taken to the University Medical Center’s burn unit after an explosion in his left pants pocket on Sunday at the McCarran International Airport. He suffered severe burns on his leg and arm.

Hildreth says his e-cigarette and its two batteries were not damaged.

Clark County Fire Department is taking on the lead on the investigation. Assistant Fire Chief Larry Haydu says it’s not uncommon for batteries to ignite under certain conditions.

Doctors say Hildreth may recover within six months.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide