- Associated Press - Thursday, April 13, 2017

CHANDLER, Ariz. (AP) - Gunshots intended for a Chandler tattoo parlor instead pierced the front window of barber shop next door, narrowly missing a 4-year-old girl but spraying her with glass, police said.

Surveillance video obtained by police from the barber shop during their investigation of the incident Monday showed the girl sitting down on a seat next to the window late Monday morning.

Moments later, the shots cause her to recoil, then get up and run further into the shop.

According to a police probable-cause statement filed in connection with two arrests in the case, “two shots pierced the glass at the head level of the girl passing by either side of her head.”

Police said the girl was taken to a hospital and that her injuries weren’t life-threatening.

The girl’s name hasn’t been released and multiple calls to the barber shop weren’t answered Thursday.

The manager of a tax-preparation business on the opposite side of the barber shop from the tattoo parlor said the girl was fortunate to have not been hit by bullets that bracketed her after piercing the window.

“If that’s not a miracle, I don’t know what is,” said Keating, who cited privacy concerns for not discussing the girl or her family.

However, Keating said she saw the girl being taken away on a stretcher.

“We thought she had a head wound,” she said.

Keating said she was meeting with a client when she heard five gunshots and “the most horrific scream I could image.”

According to Keating, she asked the client, who’s a military service member, whether he was carrying a gun, and he said he wasn’t.

She called 911 and locked the doors of her business to try to protect the dozen or so workers and clients inside while awaiting police, who arrived quickly.

“I just prayed to God that nobody got killed,” Keating said.

Police said the shooting stemmed from a dispute about tattoo work involving a man who had left the tattoo parlor and gotten into a car before the shots were fired.

Michael David Hart, 23, was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of several charges accusing him of firing multiple shots.

On Wednesday, police arrested 21-year-old Rafael Santos on suspicion of endangerment, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and other charges in the incident. The probable-cause statement didn’t detail his alleged role in the incident.

Neither man had an attorney when they made their initial court appearances.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide