- Associated Press - Thursday, April 6, 2017

ZURICH (AP) - The FIFA appeal committee says Saoud Al-Mohannadi of Qatar was wrongly barred as a FIFA Council election candidate last year.

FIFA says its appeal panel lifted a one-year ban imposed on Al-Mohannadi last November for failing to cooperate with a previous, unspecified ethics investigation.

His case emerged last September, days before Asian Football Confederation members were electing delegates to represent them on FIFA’s ruling committee. When Al-Mohannadi was blocked, the AFC postponed voting in protest.

The delayed Asian elections will now take place on May 8 in Manama, Bahrain, ahead of FIFA’s annual congress.

Still, Al-Mohannadi is not on the approved candidate list because he remained banned when the entry deadline passed in January.

FIFA appeal judges also lifted Al-Mohannadi’s $19,900 fine, ruling that “the evidence available was not sufficient.”


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide