- Associated Press - Friday, August 18, 2017

BOTHELL, Wash. (AP) - Birds of the World pet shop has been closed temporarily following the discovery that a bird boarded there had a bacterial infection that can be spread to other birds as well as humans.

The Daily Herald reports (https://bit.ly/2uOLCTG ) that a bird boarded there recently died of the infection.

The disease is sometimes referred to as parrot fever. It typically affects cockatiels, parakeets, parrots and macaws.

More than 200 birds at the store may have been exposed since July 2, according to the Snohomish Health District.

In humans, the disease can cause flu-like symptoms. The family of the pet bird which died has been treated with antibiotics as a precaution.



___

Information from: The Daily Herald, https://www.heraldnet.com

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide