- Associated Press - Wednesday, August 9, 2017

HONOLULU (AP) - The Hawaii state Department of Health says an Oahu resident has contracted rat lungworm, a potentially deadly brain parasite.

The department said Wednesday it’s not known how the individual got the disease. The person began experiencing symptoms last month.

An investigation is continuing.

This is Hawaii’s 16th case of rat lungworm this year. Other cases have been on Maui and the Big Island.

People get the disease by eating food contaminated by the larvae of a roundworm. People can avoid it by not eating raw snails or slugs and by properly washing produce.

Symptoms can range from mild headaches to temporary paralysis. Hawaii has had two deaths from rat lungworm since 2007.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide