- Associated Press - Wednesday, December 13, 2017

NEWPORT, R.I. (AP) - A Rhode Island city councilman charged with making an obscene phone call to a 13-year-old boy he says was sending sexual messages to his daughter has pleaded not guilty.

Newport Councilman John Florez was arraigned in Newport District Court on Wednesday and was released on his own recognizance. Florez says he was trying to protect his 13-year-old daughter from a boy sending aggressive and sexual messages.

The member of the non-partisan council says he repeatedly told the boy to stop sending the messages and contends he never threatened the boy with harm.

The councilman previously announced he was resigning for business reasons.

Florez on Dec. 4 obtained a temporary restraining order that prevents the boy from contacting his daughter.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide