- Associated Press - Thursday, December 21, 2017

GARY, Ind. (AP) - Authorities say an elderly Gary woman died and a young girl was in critical condition after they apparently suffered carbon monoxide poisoning in the northwestern Indiana city.

Gary Fire Department spokesman Mark Jones says crews called Wednesday afternoon to a home found an oven was on. Firefighters discovered high carbon monoxide readings and two people inside who were in cardiac arrest.

The (Northwest Indiana) Times reports that the Lake County coroner says 72-year-old Tina Hoskins died at a hospital. WLS-TV reports the 5-year-old girl was airlifted to a Chicago hospital.

Jones says the home’s oven was apparently being used to help heat the home. The TV station reports, however, that the home had furnace problems that were being repaired.

Jones says the source of the carbon monoxide remains under investigation.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide