- Associated Press - Tuesday, February 14, 2017

HAMPTON, N.H. (AP) - Hampton officials are appealing a state order directing the town to replace two sewer force mains at the beach after one of the pipes leaked sewage into the town’s marsh.

The state Department of Environmental Services handed down the order last month, instructing the town to replace the force mains by Dec. 1. Construction plans must be provided by March 1.

Town Manager Fred Welch tells the Portsmouth Herald (https://bit.ly/2lL13Eh ) the board voted last week to appeal. The state Water Council will decide whether to hear that appeal.

The town says the pipes should be replaced, but it’s concerned the order’s terms are too demanding.

The town says it’s also concerned it will still have to replace the mains even if voters reject a $4.2 million bond article next month.



___

Information from: Portsmouth Herald, https://www.seacoastonline.com

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide