- Associated Press - Thursday, February 16, 2017

SMITHFIELD, R.I. (AP) - Three children are improving but their mother remains unconscious after the family was overcome with carbon monoxide in their Smithfield home.

Fire Chief Robert Seltzer told WPRI-TV that the children - ages 7, 9, and 11 - are in stable condition in the intensive care unit but the mother remains in critical condition.

The four family members were found by their father Wednesday night unconscious in the living room. The father was treated and released from the hospital.

Seltzer said the home’s carbon monoxide and smoke detectors had been disabled and it appears carbon monoxide built up from a malfunctioning heating system.

Firefighters said carbon monoxide readings in the house registered more than 700 parts per million, well above the 35 to 40 parts per million considered unsafe.



Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide