- Associated Press - Friday, February 17, 2017

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - Utah Gov. Gary Herbert’s Office says the state would have serious constitutional and financial concerns about a draft proposal to activate the National Guard to round up unauthorized immigrants.

Utah is one of 11 states named in a Trump administration memo obtained by the Associated Press outlining a proposal to mobilize up to 100,000 National Guard troops from New Orleans, Louisiana to Portland, Oregon.

White House spokesman Sean Spicer says there is no effort to do what the memo suggests. U.S. Department of Homeland Security staffers told the Associated Press the proposal had been considered as recently as Feb. 10.

Herbert’s office said in a statement that neither he nor the National Guard in Utah has received any official communication on the matter, but it would raise serious questions about constitutional implications and financial impacts.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide