- Associated Press - Thursday, January 19, 2017

AKRON, Ohio (AP) - Investigators say a northeast Ohio fire that killed two girls and their parents was caused by unattended cooking.

Fire officials in Akron say evidence indicates that the Dec. 3 blaze began in the kitchen and that one burner of the gas stove was turned on. Investigators didn’t find smoke detectors in the home after the fire and couldn’t confirm whether it had any.

WEWS-TV reports the owner of the home isn’t expected to be charged.

However, a lawsuit filed on behalf of the estates of the girls and their father alleged the landlord is liable for their deaths for failing to install smoke detectors.

The fire killed 33-year-old Shirley Wallis, 37-year-old Omar Riley, 9-year-old Shanice Riley and 8-year-old Aniyla Riley. A 12-year-old girl also was hospitalized.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide