- Associated Press - Friday, July 14, 2017

CHICAGO (AP) - A 12-year-old accused of shooting at a Chicago police officer last month will remain in custody.

Cook County juvenile court prosecutors say the boy, unidentified because of his age, is a gang member who buys marijuana with his allowance. In arguing Friday against his release, prosecutors said the boy has gone home “completely red-eyed” and unable to recognize his mother because he was under the influence.

Juvenile Court Judge Marianne Jackson said even if he were a choir boy, she wouldn’t release the boy because of the nature of the charges against him.

Prosecutors have accused the boy and a 17-year-old youth of exiting a stolen SUV and firing in the direction of two police officers on June 5. The bullets missed. Prosecutors offered no motive for the shooting.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide