- Associated Press - Friday, July 14, 2017

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) - A rapper arrested in Alabama after a shooting that injured more than two dozen people in Arkansas was being returned there Friday to face charges in another shooting.

Court and jail records showed Ricky Hampton signed papers agreeing to return to Arkansas. He was removed from the county jail in Birmingham, Alabama, at 2:30 a.m. Friday, and was booked in a jail in Forrest City, Arkansas, hours later.

Also known as Finese 2Tymes, the 25-year-old performer from Memphis, Tennessee, was arrested in Birmingham on July 2 at a rap show held one day after the shooting in Arkansas.

Records show Hampton was charged with aggravated assault, illegal gun possession, attempted battery, making terroristic threats and criminal mischief in a shooting that occurred days before the Little Rock shooting.

Federal authorities said Hampton screamed at someone he believed was blocking his way on June 25 as Hampton was leaving a concert in Forrest City, Arkansas. He allegedly opened fire at a car, striking someone in the neck.

The gunfire days later at Little Rock’s Power Ultra Lounge left 28 people hurt while Hampton was performing.

Little Rock police have made no arrests in the nightclub shootings, but they previously described Hampton as a “person of interest” in the case.

Hampton also faces a federal charge of being a felon in possession of a firearm in connection with the Forrest City shooting.

Court records in Alabama show Hampton did not have a lawyer who could speak on his behalf. He declined to comment on the Little Rock shooting Friday to reporters as he was being transported to the St. Francis County jail in Forrest City.

The Little Rock nightclub has since been shut down during a review of possible violations of its liquor license.

Arrested by federal officers in Birmingham at a club where he was headlining a rap show the day after the Arkansas shooting, Hampton was traveling in a Mercedes-Benz where two pistols and an assault rifle were found, authorities said.

Someone writing on Hampton’s Facebook page posted a message Thursday saying the performer would make a live appearance from his cell, but no video was posted. The message was deleted a few hours after Hampton was transferred from the Birmingham jail.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide