- The Washington Times - Friday, July 28, 2017

The chronically ill 11-month-old whose potential treatment was barred for months by the U.K. medical and judicial establishments has died.

Charlie Gard died one week before his first birthday, his parents said Friday.

“Our beautiful boy has gone,” Charlie’s mother, Connie Yates, said in a statement, “we are so proud of you Charlie.”

Charlie was transferred to an unspecified children’s hospice center Thursday, after a court would not let his parents bring him home to die.

Charlie suffered from DNA depletion syndrome, a rare genetic condition that causes progressive muscle weakness and brain damage. He was unable to see or hear, or breathe without the assistance of a ventilator.

His parents gave up their monthslong legal fight to transfer Charlie to the U.S. Monday, after a neurologist offering an experimental treatment said too much time had passed and Charlie’s condition had worsened.

The U.K. High Court ruled in April that it was in Charlie’s “best interests” to “die with dignity” against the wishes of his parents, and barred his removal to the U.S. British and European courts upheld the ruling in a series of appeals.

Talking to reporters Monday outside of the courthouse, Charlie’s father, Chris Gard, blamed the helplessness of Charlie’s case on “time wasted” by the legal system’s interference.

Great Ormond Street Hospital in London, where Charlie had been treated, disagreed, saying it had been apparent six months prior that the infant’s illness was irreversible.

Charlie touched the hearts of people and leaders around the world, including figures as divergent in temperament as President Trump and Pope Francis, who pledged the resources of their respective regimes to the Gard family.

His life serves as a warning of what happens when government overrides parental rights, controls the allocation of medical care and devalues human life, conservatives say.

Catherine Glenn Foster, president and CEO of Americans United for Life, said Charlie made a “lasting impact on the world.”

“Our hearts go out to Connie and Chris, who fought the good fight with Charlie,” Ms. Foster said in a statement. “Their fight will continue as Charlie’s legacy, so that we can build a culture that respects life, and protects the lives of the most vulnerable.”

In a tweet, Vice President Mike Pence also offered his condolences to the Gard family:

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide