- Associated Press - Friday, July 28, 2017

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) - The Latest on two men charged in connection with Oakland warehouse fire that killed 36 (all times local):

11:45 a.m.

A California judge has reduced bail for one of two men charged with involuntary manslaughter in connection with an Oakland warehouse fire that killed 36 people last year.

But an Alameda County judge on Friday declined to release 27-year-old Max Harris on his own recognizance, citing a lack of community ties. He has been in jail since his June arrest.

Harris and 47-year-old Derick Almena were each charged with 36 involuntary manslaughter counts. Bail was originally set for each at $1.08 million.

Harris‘ attorney, Tyler Smith, says his client can’t afford the new bail of $750,000 but will try to raise it.

Almena rented the warehouse. Prosecutors say Harris helped him sublet living space in the building that was destroyed on Dec. 2.

___

1 a.m.

One of two men charged with involuntary manslaughter for last year’s Oakland warehouse fire that killed 36 people is seeking his release from jail on bail.

Max Harris will ask a judge for a significant reduction of his $1.08 million bail, which he has been held on since his June arrest on 36 involuntary manslaughter charges.

The 27-year-old Harris and 47-year-old Derick Almena were each charged with 36 involuntary manslaughter counts. Neither has entered a plea.

Harris lawyer Curtis Briggs argues that his client is neither a flight risk nor a danger to the public. Almena’s lawyer also says he will ask for a reduction of his $1.08 million bail later.

Almena rented the warehouse. Prosecutors say Harris helped him sublet living space in the building destroyed Dec. 2.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide