- Associated Press - Saturday, July 29, 2017

GRIFFIN, Ga. (AP) - A fatal house fire in Spalding County has been ruled accidental.

Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner Ralph Hudgens, in a news release, says Saturday’s fire was caused by careless smoking.

The blaze claimed the life of 44-year-old Christie Lewis. Her son, 6-year-old Zachary Sevenstar, was severely injured and is being treated at the burn center in Augusta.

Hudgens says investigators revealed that improper discarding of a cigarette into a trash can started the fire, which was reported about 9:30 a.m.

The death brings Georgia’s fire fatality total to 65 for 2017.

___

This story has been corrected to fix spelling of Spalding throughout.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide