- Associated Press - Tuesday, June 6, 2017

RUSSELLVILLE, Ark. (AP) - A capital-murder trial has been postponed for a man accused of shooting two men and crushing their bodies in a car at an Arkansas salvage yard.

A judge agreed Monday to grant defense attorneys’ request and delayed a trial slated to begin next week for Tyler Barefield, 36, the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette (https://bit.ly/2s0ePJm ) reported.

Barefield’s attorneys said they needed more time to prepare, noting in a motion filed last month that “numerous individuals are named as potential witnesses … however, none of these individuals were interviewed by law enforcement during the investigation.”

The trial was set to begin June 12, but was rescheduled for October. A pretrial hearing is set for Aug. 7.

Barefield was arrested on Sept. 16, 2016, in the deaths of Beau Dewitt and Aaron Brock, who were both 22. Investigators allege Barefield shot the men at his business, U-Pull-It Auto Parts. Authorities contend the victims went to the business to steal car parts.

Arkansas law allows for the death penalty in capital murder cases, but prosecutors said they won’t seek the death penalty if Barefield is convicted.

Barefield is free on $850,000 bail. Another judge set bail in March after the state waived the death penalty and defense attorneys alleged the victims’ family members had asked members of a white supremacist group to harm Barefield in jail.

___

Information from: Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, https://www.arkansasonline.com

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide