HONOLULU (AP) - A decision on whether the NCAA will hand down sanctions against the University of Hawaii men’s basketball team “will come in the near future,” a spokeswoman said Tuesday.
The NCAA Committee on Infractions previously imposed a post-season ban, scholarship reductions and a fine against the team in December 2015, the Honolulu Star-Advertiser reported (https://bit.ly/2mdyAtS) Tuesday.
UH then appealed to the Division I Infractions Appeals Committee, which announced in October it was sending the penalties back to the infractions committee for reconsideration.
The Big West Conference says it needs to have a decision on UH’s post-season eligibility from the NCAA by Saturday if the Rainbow Warriors are to be included in the eight-team conference tournament that begins March 9 in Anaheim, California.
A NCAA spokeswoman said in an email the committee has met several times to reconsider the case and a decision will come soon.
“Generally speaking, there is not a specific timeline for cases that are sent back to the COI hearing panel by the appeals committee,” the email states. “However, the panel has met several times to appropriately consider the case on remand and the decision will come in the near future.”
Coach Eran Ganot said Monday the team will have to “keep handling it like we have.”
___
Information from: Honolulu Star-Advertiser, https://www.staradvertiser.com
Please read our comment policy before commenting.