By Associated Press - Tuesday, March 7, 2017

TWIN FALLS, Idaho (AP) - A Twin Falls man awaiting trial following a shooting in a south-central Idaho park has fled the country, authorities say.

Twin Falls County Deputy Prosecutor Trevor Misseldine at a hearing Monday in 5th District Court said it’s clear that 21-year-old Jesus Hilario Manjares-Contreras left the country.

Twin Falls County Prosecutor Grant Loebs declined to say why prosecutors believe Manjares-Contreras left the country or where he went.



Manjares-Contreras is charged with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon following the September 2015 shooting in Harry Barry Park in Twin Falls. Marcus Loya was struck by a bullet in the arm.

The Times-News reports (https://bit.ly/2meUHxv) that Manjares-Contreras was released from custody in early January on the day his trial was supposed to start after prosecutors sought a delay because a key witness was missing.

Prosecutors said Manjares-Contreras immediately began violating terms of his release by failing to submit to drug tests and breaking a nightly curfew. Authorities say his ankle monitor was found in the snow on Jan. 22.

Judge Richard Bevan on Monday placed the case on inactive status pending the return of Manjares-Contreras.

Another man, Fred Zapata Paiz, in July was acquitted of aggravated battery and aggravated assault charges relating to the shooting of Loya.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Paiz and Manjares-Contreras had been spotted on surveillance video buying milk at a grocery store hours before the shooting.

Defense witnesses testified Paiz had been dropped off by Manjares-Contreras before the shooting and was at home with his girlfriend and children when it happened.

Loya did not testify during Paiz’s trial.

___

Information from: The Times-News, https://www.magicvalley.com

Advertisement
Advertisement

Copyright © 2026 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.