- The Washington Times - Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Last week’s infamously disastrous Fyre Festival in the Bahamas has already caused attendees to take action in the form of no fewer than two lawsuits seeking repercussions for the event’s organizers.

Hollywood attorney Mark Geragos filed a $100 million fraud lawsuit against Fyre Festival organizers on Monday in Los Angeles federal court. Personal injury lawyer John Girardi followed suit Tuesday and sued its organizers in a separate venue for breach of contract, negligent misrepresentation and fraud.

Fyre Festival organizers charged ticket-holders up to $12,000 each to attend last week’s event, a multiday music festival advertised as a “luxury” vacation and widely touted online by social media personalities. As noted in litigation, however, attendees who made the trip said the actual experience was drastically different than promised.

“The festival’s lack of adequate food, water, shelter and medical care created a dangerous and panicked situation among attendees — suddenly finding themselves stranded on a remote island without basic provisions — that was closer to ‘The Hunger Games’ or ‘Lord of the Flies’ than Coachella,” Mr. Geragos wrote in Monday’s suit.

“Fyre Festival and its promoters recklessly stranded thousands of consumers in a festival [of] horror, and cost them thousands of dollars on travel, lodging and time off from work,” Mr. Geragos’ law firm said in a statement Monday. He’s seeking $100 million from the festival’s organizers and class-action status so the suit can be joined by all ticket-holders duped by last week’s event.

On Tuesday, meanwhile, Fyre Festival organizers were hit with a separate suit in Los Angeles County Superior Court for paying hundreds of internet celebrities to promote the event online in alleged violation of federal law.

According to the lawsuit, festival organizers paid 400 individuals, including models Kendall Jenner and Bella Hadid, to promote their event in violation of U.S. law.

“These ‘sponsored posts’ were in direct violation of Federal Trade Commission Guidelines on disclosing material connections between advertisers and endorsers,” the lawsuit claims. “Social Media ‘influencers’ made no attempt to disclose to consumers that they were being compensated for promoting the Fyre Festival.”

“Instead, these influencers gave the impression that the guest list was full of Social Elite and other celebrities,” Mr. Girardi wrote. He’s seeking a jury trial, unspecified restitution and an injunction preventing organizers from embarking on “similar conduct.”

Fyre Festival organizers issued a statement to Rolling Stone on Monday after the first suit was filed but did not immediately comment publicly on the second suit.

“We are in the process of helping all Fyre Festival guests apply for refunds,” the statement said. “All guests who purchased tickets have been sent the appropriate form to start the refund procedure. The Fyre Festival is a dream and vision that we regrettably did not see come to life how we’d imagined in 2017, but our main priority now is rectifying the situation and helping all affected guests.”

Fyre Festival was slated to begin last week in the Bahamas, but organizers canceled the event on Friday after ticket-holders reported arriving to grossly lackluster accommodations and a lack of musical performers.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide