- Associated Press - Sunday, May 7, 2017

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) - Gov. Dannel P. Malloy’s administration says the first round of layoff notices may be issued in the coming days, unless a labor concession agreement is reached soon.

Chris McClure, a spokesman for the Democratic governor’s budget office, says the first of approximately 1,100 workers could receive notices by the end of this week. Malloy is seeking $700 million in givebacks from state workers to help fill what has grown into a projected $2.3 billion hole in the new fiscal year that begins July 1.

Last month, Malloy announced his administration developed a “statewide workforce reduction contingency plan.” Collective bargaining units were formally notified about the plan, a step that’s required under the labor contracts before layoff notices can be issued.

Malloy has said he hopes the plan won’t be necessary.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide