Planned Parenthood says disgraced Hollywood executive Harvey Weinstein never made good on a $100,000 donation he pledged at a fundraiser for the nation’s largest abortion provider earlier this year.
“Harvey Weinstein is not and has never been a donor to Planned Parenthood Federation of America,” a Planned Parenthood spokesperson said in a statement. “The $100,000 pledge referenced went unfulfilled.”
Mr. Weinstein attended the abortion giant’s 100th anniversary gala in May, during which he sat at the same table as former Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton, actress Meryl Streep and television producer Shonda Rhimes.
The film mogul was forced out of his company this week after more than a dozen women came forward to accuse him of sexual misconduct, harassment and assault.
At the Planned Parenthood gala, Mr. Weinstein reportedly made a six-figure pledge for a painting by British artist Cecily Brown.
In a statement, Dawn Laguens, executive vice president of the Planned Parenthood Federation of America, said the organization was “disturbed by Harvey Weinstein’s actions.”
“We believe sexual assault survivors deserve to be heard and should be treated with dignity and respect; we know that coming forward is not easy and commend their bravery,” Ms. Laguens said.
Mr. Weinstein is a longtime donor to the Democratic Party.
Last cycle, he maxed out on donations to Mrs. Clinton’s failed presidential campaign ($5,400) and contributed more than $30,000 to the Hillary Victory Fund. He has also donated at least $250,000 to the Clinton Foundation.
Mrs. Clinton had remained conspicuously silent about the allegations against Mr. Weinstein ― until Tuesday.
“I was shocked and appalled by the revelations about Harvey Weinstein,” she said in a statement. “The behavior described by women coming forward cannot be tolerated. Their courage and the support of others is critical in helping to stop this kind of behavior.”