- The Washington Times - Monday, October 30, 2017

The hit Netflix political drama “House of Cards” will end with its sixth season, according to multiple reports that broke Monday amid sexual misconduct allegations against the show’s star, two-time Oscar winner Kevin Spacey.

“House of Cards” has already started filming its sixth and final season, which is set to premiere next year. While the news of the series’ end coincides with sexual misconduct allegations against Mr. Spacey, multiple sources told TVLine that the decision was made months ago. A Netlix rep reportedly confirmed that account to TVLine.

In an interview with BuzzFeed, 46-year-old actor Anthony Rapp revealed that he was 14 years old when he was invited to a party at Mr. Spacey’s apartment in 1986. He said at one point, Mr. Spacey, then 26, picked him up, placed him on his bed, and climbed on top of him, making a sexual advance. Mr. Rapp said he was eventually able to push Mr. Spacey off and get away.

Mr. Spacey, now 58, said he couldn’t remember the encounter, but issued a statement Sunday saying, “if I did behave as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior.”



Netflix and producer Media Rights Capital released a statement Monday responding to the allegations, saying executives have since met with the cast and crew to address any concerns.

“Media Rights Capital and Netflix are deeply troubled by last night’s news concerning Kevin Spacey,” the statement said, Variety reported. “In response to last night’s revelations, executives from both of our companies arrived in Baltimore this afternoon to meet with our cast and crew to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported. As previously scheduled, Kevin Spacey is not working on set at this time.”

Beau Willimon, the original creator of the Netflix series, who left last year after four seasons, said he found Mr. Rapp’s allegations “deeply troubling.”

“Anthony Rapp’s story is deeply troubling. During the time I worked with Kevin Spacey on House of Cards, I neither witnessed nor was aware of any inappropriate behavior on set or off,” Mr. Willimon said in a statement Monday. “That said, I take reports of such behavior seriously and this is no exception. I feel for Mr. Rapp and I support his courage.”

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide