- Associated Press - Wednesday, October 4, 2017

FLINT, Mich. (AP) - Authorities say a toddler in Flint, Michigan, has been seriously hurt after being run over by a van driven by her mother, who was preparing to unload cases of water.

Many residents in the city consume bottled water since lead was detected in the municipal water supply. It wasn’t clear why the mother bought the water.

Police said Sarah Freshcosy was backing up her van in the family’s driveway Tuesday afternoon to unload the water when 2-year-old Jasmine stepped behind the vehicle.

Jasmine is hospitalized in critical condition.

Flint’s water was tainted with the toxin for at least 18 months starting in spring 2014, as the city didn’t treat river water to reduce corrosion. Experts say tap water is safe to consume, but they recommend filters.



Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide